Eng | Cym

Starting your own club is easy

Follow our simple process to start a kid’s club.

Follow our Simple Process to Start a Club

  1. Complete market research to identify demand, hours required and fees parents are willing to pay.
  2. Venue, when identifying possible venues, this could be in a school / community building.
  3. Set up a steering group if necessary to decide the business structure and register with the appropriate authority (Companies House and/or Charity Commission)
  4. Agree an opening date and draw up a business plan and business and cash flow forecast
  5. Open a bank account in the name of the business
  6. Recruitment process – agree job descriptions and advertise for appropriately qualified staff. Make appointments pending written references, DBS disclosures etc
  7. Register with Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW)
  8. Register with appropriate authorities; HMRC, Environmental Health, Information Commissioner Office (ICO), Family Information Service (FIS)
  9. Purchase insurance
  10. Market opening day and take bookings
  11. Open
Resource Centre

Useful Resources

Looking for more information?

Marketing made easy

Thank you for being a member of Clybiau Plant Cymru Kids’ Clubs. As part of your membership we have created […]

Find out more

We’re here to help you.

What is an Out of School Childcare Club?

Out of School Childcare Clubs run directly before and/or after the school day and/or all day long during the school holidays.They provide quality, affordable, and accessible childcare for working or training parents /carers. They provide enjoyable, play opportunities for children aged 3-14 years.A typical after school club would run from the end of the school day until 5:30pm or 6pm.Children are offered a healthy snack and are free to choose from an array of play opportunities.They remain in the care of qualified staff until collected by parents/carers.

What are the benefits of Out of School Childcare Clubs?


  • give children valuable play and leisure experiences and reduce the dangers they may face without adequate care;
  • Improve children’s social skills and provide learning opportunities;
  • give parents the chance to take up the training or education opportunities they want, or to get a job;
  • assist employers in the recruitment and retention of staff;
  • assure employers that staff with school age children are reliable and committed

Where are Out of School Childcare Clubs based?

Typically they are located in:

  • Schools
  • Workplaces
  • Community buildings
  • Leisure centres
  • Church halls
  • Day nurseries
  • Family centres
  • Youth clubs

The National Minimum Standards set out minimum requirements for the premises used by childcare clubs.Health and safety and local authority environmental health requirements also need to be considered.If the club is not run on school premises, then the children are often escorted from school to the club.It is worth bearing in mind that if transport is needed, costs are significantly increased.Even walking children from one premises to another sometimes involves employing additional staff for safety purposes.

Who manages Out of School Childcare?

Sometimes an individual or several individuals may run the club as a private business e.g. sole trader or business partnership.A cross section of the community or school may set up a committee and form a company limited by guarantee, charity or charitable incorporated organisation.A co-operative is when a group of employees manage the club and schools sometimes manage Out of School Childcare Clubs.Your Childcare Business Development Officer can help you decide on an appropriate management structure.

Who can help fund Out of School Childcare Clubs?

Clybiau Plant Cymru Kids’ Clubs may be able to signpost and help you access funding to start your club.Please contact us for further information.In addition, working parents may be eligible for support with childcare costs such as the Childcare Offer, Tax Free Childcare, Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit or Universal Credit.

Childcare Regulation

In Wales, child minding and the provision of day care is regulated by the Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW). If childcare provision runs for more than 2 hours per day for children up to the age of 12 years, it must, by law, be registered with CIW.CIW ensures that care services meet the standard that the public expects through inspections. If you want to open for more than 2 hours a day, you will need to contact CIW in your area to register.Clybiau Plant Cymru Kids’ Clubs will have the local contact details and Childcare Business Development Officers can support you through the registration process.

As a CIW registered Out of School Childcare provider you will:

Be confident that your setting is meeting the expected National Minimum Standards for Regulated Childcare for children up to the age of 12 years (which set out the basic standards of care registered providers should provide and aim to exceed

Meet the needs of working/training parents by being able to open for over 2 hours

Enable eligible working parents to access childcare vouchers, tax credits or access the tax free childcare scheme introduced in 2016/17, supporting affordable childcare for working families;

Support the work/home life balance through providing peace of mind to families, therefore supporting the child’s quality of life

Have opportunities to access funding through local authorities (where it is available)

Enjoy free promotion and recognition through Family Information Service, which shares information on registered childcare with interested parents.

We’re Here to help

How Clybiau Plant Cymru Kids’ Clubs Wales can help:

You will work with a Childcare Business Development Officer who can help you develop your Out of School Club including:

  • Researching local need for the club (contact Clybiau Plant Cymru Kids’ Clubs for a sample parent questionnaire).
  • Deciding on a suitable organisation structure.
  • Writing a business and financial plan.
  • Funding opportunities to set up and sustain your Out of School Childcare Club.
  • Developing a fundraising strategy.
  • Legal requirements and developing policies and procedures.
  • Registering with CIW.
  • Recruiting and inducting suitable and appropriately qualified staff and their ongoing training needs.
  • Promotion.
  • Improving quality.
  • Discounted insurance.

Sign up for a weekly roundup!