Diwali, also known as the festival of lights, is a major religious festival in Hinduism, Jainism, and Sikhism. This year it begins on October 24, 2022 and lasts for 5 days. The festivity generally symbolises new beginnings the victory of light over darkness
It is usually celebrated with people decorating their homes, buying gifts, having feasts, fireworks and lots of lights and oil lamps being lit on the streets and in people’s homes.
It’s important for children to know about different festivals. To get involved:
• Read a story about Diwali together.
• Invite someone from the community who celebrates Diwali to talk about their festival.
• Make cardamom scented playdough by grinding and adding cardamon seeds.
• Make paper or milk bottle lanterns
• Make salt dough diyas
• Cook together
• Share Sweets or dried fruits or find a Diwali sweet recipe.